Congratulations on embarking on your journey to creating a more sustainable and environmentally friendly business!
The first step of the 30 Steps to an Another Way Business is about getting all employees together and sharing with them the new journey that you, as a business and team, are going to be undertaking. This is such an important step as it will require all employees working together to make positive changes in order to have the biggest impact.
Teamwork is key in the 30 Steps to an Another Way Business, therefore we suggest having a meeting with all employees in attendance. This can be done virtually while working remotely due to the current pandemic. Here you could share with employees the importance of sustainability, and the decisions behind why you as a business want to make these changes.
The world is at breaking point in the climate crisis. There are many shocking facts that could be shared with employees in order to motivate them to make the change needed. Here are some important environmental facts you could share:
- By 2050 there will be more plastic than fish in the seas.
- Our current demands require 1.5x Earths natural resources.
- In 44 years, the world’s wildlife has decreased by 52% on average.
- We are set to overshoot the 1.5°C global temperature rise considered “safe” between 2030 and 2040.
- 50% of carbon emissions are produced by only 10% of the world’s population. With wealth comes responsibility.
- More than a third of the world’s land surface and nearly 75% of freshwater resources are now devoted to crop or livestock production.
- Air pollution can cause childhood cancers, birth defects and fatality.
A PowerPoint presentation is a great way to ensure all key points are mentioned in a simple and effective way.
Depending on the size of your business and number of employees, it may be a good idea to get a group of employees to form a ‘Sustainable Committee’ who can be in charge of allocating roles, monthly meetings, ensuring employees are happy, and keeping track of the 30 steps. If a Sustainable Committee is not possible, Step 2: Audit and Step 5: Monthly Meetings, will be really important to ensure progress is being made.
During this meeting, you could tell employees about the Another Way Charity, referring them to all of our online resources. It is a great opportunity for individuals to take part in the 30 Steps to an Another Way Home, helping to reduce their carbon footprint and negative environmental impacts as much as possible.